August is normally vacation time as families spend time together before returning their children to school. While all of this has been scrambled by the pandemic, not surprisingly many families are trying to maintain a bit of normalcy by having some type of vacation. There are many different ways to have a vacation, and some clearly are better ideas than others given these difficult times.
Biscuit offers his advice on several vacation ideas to avoid. He has added hyperlinks to some of the sites if you remain interested!
1. Disney. Best of the worst with aggressive infection control at the theme parks. But do you really want photos remembering you and Mickey in a mask?
2. Visiting Baseball Parks. They are playing, but you can’t get in. And given recent infections on several teams, you probably don’t want to!
3. White House. . A visit to the monuments in Washington, DC. It is not open and I wouldn’t try to visit the White House right now either.
4. Midwest caverns. Going into a close, dark place with cool temperatures and lots of other people does not seem like a good idea.
5. South BeachSouth Beach. For those who are unaware, it is a neighborhood in the city of Miami Beach, Florida, United States, located due east of Miami city proper between Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. While the pools and the parties normally seem inviting, they are less so right now given it is the biggest COVID-19 hotspot in the country.
6. Galveston. TX. Great beaches! Just fly into Houston….whoops.
7. 20 Fun Things to Do in Chicago with Kids of All Ages. Avoid COVID-19, avoid being shot, quarantine for 14 days if you crossed the Wisconsin boarder. What am I missing?
8. Worst vacation idea of all! Taking a cruise. Remarkably, cruises have restarted and one of the first ships to resume cruising is having a COVID outbreak. Best outcome, you are marooned at sea for months. Worst is that you return to shore in one of the ship’s freezers!